Healthy soils are the basis for healthy food production. Soils are the foundation for vegetation which is cultivated or managed for feed, fibre, fuel and medicinal products. Soils support our planet's biodiversity and they host a quarter of the total. Soils help to combat and adapt to climate change by playing a key role in the carbon cycle. Soils store and filter water, improving our resilience to floods and droughts. Soil is a non-renewable resource; its preservation is essential for food security and our sustainable future.
Did you know
The earth's surface is about
70,9% water and
more than 99,7%
of their food (calories) from land.
Soils hosts 25% of the planet's biodiversity.
of all ecosystem services are
are annually lost
to land degradation.
This surface equals Costa Rica.
of global soils are
(16% of Africa).
affected by desertification
It takes up to
to produce 2-3 cm of soil.
1 car = 150m2
1kg beef = 22m2
1 coffee = 4,3m2
1 burger with fries = 3,61m2
- 16 February 2017UN-Chef António Guterres beim G20-Außenministertreffen in Bonn, einem Zentrum der Nachhaltigkeit
- 16 February 2017UN Chief António Guterres Attends G20 Foreign Ministers Meeting in Bonn, a hub for Sustainability
- 01 February 2017Wetlands Are Critical to the Success of the SDGs
- 01 February 2017Applications for 2017 Momentum for Change Awards Now Open: Submit Your Climate Solution!
- 13 January 2017PRESS INVITE: 1 February 2017 - EU-UN media round table “The Future of Climate Policy”
- 13 January 2017PRESSEEINLADUNG: 1. Februar 2017 - EU-UN Medienstammtisch „Zukunft der Klimapolitik“
- 19 November 2016Nations Take Forward Global Climate Action at 2016 UN Climate Conference
- 18 November 2016Non-State Actors Partner with Governments to Boost Climate Action
- 04 November 2016Worldwide Green Light for Climate Action as Paris Agreement Enters into Force
- 31 October 2016UN Climate Talks LIVE - Stay tuned with COP22 in Marrakech!
- 04 October 2016Workshop: Journalismus und die SDGs - Jetzt anmelden!
- 04 October 2016Workshop: Journalism and the SDGs - Register Now!