"No country can meet the challenge of climate change alone. Climate change carries no passport; emissions released anywhere contribute to the problem everywhere. It is a threat to lives and livelihoods everywhere. Economic stability and the security of nations are under threat. Only through the United Nations can we respond collectively to this quintessentially global issue."
(Ban Ki-moon, UN Secretary-General, 2015)
Did you know
Greenhouse gases in our atmosphere have increased to levels unprecedented in the past 800,000 years.
The global CO2 concentration increased from ~277ppm to 395ppm between 1950 and 2013,
i.e. an increase of 43%.
Increase of CO2
The largest increase of CO2 occurred between 2000-2012:
more than in any decade in human history,
going from 24.8 Gt CO2 to 35.1 Gt CO2.
Top 4 Emitters
The Top 4 emitters in 2013 were responsible for 58% of global emissions: China 28%, the United States 14%, EU28 10%, India 7%.
China’s per capita emissions have surpassed those of the EU28 and are 45% above the global average; US 16.4t/p, China 7.2t/p, EU 28 6.8 t/p, World 5.0 t/p, India 1.9 t/p.
Nearly 30% of all man-made greenhouse gas emissions come from agriculture, forestry and other land uses and are responsible for a nearly 38% increase in annual global carbon dioxide emissions between 1990 and 2009.
Restoring the soils of degraded ecosystems has the potential to store up to 3 billion tons of carbon annually. This is equivalent to storing up to 30% of annual CO2 fossil fuel emissions.
Climate change disrupts
the seasonal and geographical
patterns of migratory species.
- 06 November 2017UNFCCC: COP23 in Bonn, Germany / UN-Klimakonferenz 2017 in Bonn (engl. Website)
- 12 April 2017UNFCCC: The UN Climate Change Secretariat is Seeking Partnerships for COP 23
- 12 April 2017UNU-EHS e-Newsletter 7
- 11 April 2017UNFCCC: COP23 Logo Launched in Fiji - Winning Design Unveiled by Incoming COP President
- 10 April 2017UNFCCC: New Initiative Targets 2020 in Race to Tackle Dangerous Climate Change
- 09 April 2017UNFCCC: Extended Deadline to 16 April! Submit your Climate Action Project to the Momentum for Change Award 2017!
- 04 April 2017UNFCCC: Showcasing Climate Action on Four Wheels Follow Young Climate Ambassadors Cycling Across Europe
- 31 March 2017UNFCCC: Developments in the United States, By Executive Secretary Patricia Espinosa
- 07 March 2017IPBES: "Press Release" - Climate Change and Biodiversity: Opportunities and Risks
- 07 March 2017IPBES launches new video: Science and Policy for People and Nature
- 03 March 2017CMS: The 2017 World Migratory Bird Day website is now live, the registration of events is open!
- 02 March 2017UNSSC launched its 1st explainer video that introduces 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and SDGs
- 16 February 2017UN Chief António Guterres Attends G20 Foreign Ministers Meeting in Bonn, a hub for Sustainability
- 16 February 2017UN-Chef António Guterres beim G20-Außenministertreffen in Bonn, einem Zentrum der Nachhaltigkeit
- 01 February 2017Applications for 2017 Momentum for Change Awards Now Open: Submit Your Climate Solution!
- 01 February 2017Ausschreibung für „Momentum for Change Awards 2017“ läuft an: Präsentieren Sie Ihre Klimalösung!
- 13 January 2017PRESS INVITE: 1 February 2017 - EU-UN media round table “The Future of Climate Policy”
- 13 January 2017PRESSEEINLADUNG: 1. Februar 2017 - EU-UN Medienstammtisch „Zukunft der Klimapolitik“
- 19 November 2016Nations Take Forward Global Climate Action at 2016 UN Climate Conference
- 18 November 2016Non-State Actors Partner with Governments to Boost Climate Action