Did you know
50% in 2015
Half of humanity – i.e. more than 3.5 billion people – live in cities.
60% by 2030
By 2030, almost 60% of the world’s population will live in urban areas.
828 million people live in slums and the number keeps rising.
95% of urban expansion in the next decades will take place in
The world’s cities
occupy 2% of the Earth’s land,
account for 60-80% of energy consumption and
75% of carbon emissions,
and generate more than 70% of global GDP.
Rapid urbanization exerts pressure on fresh water supplies, sewage, the living environment, and public health.
But the high density of cities can bring efficiency gains and technological innovation while reducing resource and energy consumption.
- 16 February 2017UN Chief António Guterres Attends G20 Foreign Ministers Meeting in Bonn, a hub for Sustainability
- 16 February 2017UN-Chef António Guterres beim G20-Außenministertreffen in Bonn, einem Zentrum der Nachhaltigkeit
- 01 February 2017Applications for 2017 Momentum for Change Awards Now Open: Submit Your Climate Solution!
- 01 February 2017Ausschreibung für „Momentum for Change Awards 2017“ läuft an: Präsentieren Sie Ihre Klimalösung!
- 25 August 2016Press Release: 20th International Bats Night - Bats Make the World a Better Place for us Humans and the Biodiversity we depend on.