Did you know
by 6,457 weather-related events
Over the last 20 years, 90% of major disasters have been caused by 6,457 recorded floods, storms, heatwaves, droughts and other weather-related events.
Floods accounted for 47% of all weather-related disasters,
affecting 2.3 billion people and killing 157,000.
Overall, heatwaves accounted for 148,000 of the 164,000 lives lost due to extreme temperatures.
92% of heatwave deaths occurred in high-income countries,
with Europe accounting for 90%.
Storms were the deadliest type
of weather-related disaster, accounting for 242,000 deaths
or 40% of the global weather-related deaths,
with 89% of these deaths occurring in lower-income countries.
The five countries hit by the highest number of disasters are the United States (472), China (441), India (288), Philippines (274), and Indonesia, (163).
Damages in a magnitude of one trillion dollars can be attributed to disasters during the last decade, one million people were killed, and 220 million people were affected. These are conservative estimates. If the additional losses reflected in national datasets were added, the economic losses would likely increase by an additional 50%.
335 weather-related disasters
In total, an average of 335 weather-related disasters were recorded per year between 2005 and 2014, an increase of 14% from 1995-2004, and almost twice the level recorded during 1985-1995.
- 12 April 2017UNU-EHS e-Newsletter 7
- 11 April 2017UNFCCC: COP23 Logo Launched in Fiji - Winning Design Unveiled by Incoming COP President
- 08 March 2017UNU: "Media Advisory" - UNU-EHS, BMBF and MIWF sign funding agreement and MoU
- 02 March 2017UNSSC launched its 1st explainer video that introduces 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and SDGs
- 16 February 2017UN-Chef António Guterres beim G20-Außenministertreffen in Bonn, einem Zentrum der Nachhaltigkeit
- 16 February 2017UN Chief António Guterres Attends G20 Foreign Ministers Meeting in Bonn, a hub for Sustainability
- 01 February 2017Ausschreibung für „Momentum for Change Awards 2017“ läuft an: Präsentieren Sie Ihre Klimalösung!
- 13 January 2017PRESS INVITE: 1 February 2017 - EU-UN media round table “The Future of Climate Policy”
- 13 January 2017PRESSEEINLADUNG: 1. Februar 2017 - EU-UN Medienstammtisch „Zukunft der Klimapolitik“
- 04 November 2016Worldwide Green Light for Climate Action as Paris Agreement Enters into Force
- 31 October 2016UN Climate Talks LIVE - Stay tuned with COP22 in Marrakech!
- 24 June 2016Fighting ageism in disasters
- 21 June 2016Central African lawmakers step up disaster risk reduction
- 17 June 2016Action for urban resilience
- 17 June 2016UN welcomes European Commission Action Plan on Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction
- 16 June 2016Florence boost for Sendai Framework
- 16 June 2016Data vital to Sendai implementation