"No country can meet the challenge of climate change alone. Climate change carries no passport; emissions released anywhere contribute to the problem everywhere. It is a threat to lives and livelihoods everywhere. Economic stability and the security of nations are under threat. Only through the United Nations can we respond collectively to this quintessentially global issue."
(Ban Ki-moon, UN Secretary-General, 2015)
Did you know
Greenhouse gases in our atmosphere have increased to levels unprecedented in the past 800,000 years.
The global CO2 concentration increased from ~277ppm to 395ppm between 1950 and 2013,
i.e. an increase of 43%.
Increase of CO2
The largest increase of CO2 occurred between 2000-2012:
more than in any decade in human history,
going from 24.8 Gt CO2 to 35.1 Gt CO2.
Top 4 Emitters
The Top 4 emitters in 2013 were responsible for 58% of global emissions: China 28%, the United States 14%, EU28 10%, India 7%.
China’s per capita emissions have surpassed those of the EU28 and are 45% above the global average; US 16.4t/p, China 7.2t/p, EU 28 6.8 t/p, World 5.0 t/p, India 1.9 t/p.
Nearly 30% of all man-made greenhouse gas emissions come from agriculture, forestry and other land uses and are responsible for a nearly 38% increase in annual global carbon dioxide emissions between 1990 and 2009.
Restoring the soils of degraded ecosystems has the potential to store up to 3 billion tons of carbon annually. This is equivalent to storing up to 30% of annual CO2 fossil fuel emissions.
Climate change disrupts
the seasonal and geographical
patterns of migratory species.
- 17 November 2017Explainer Video: Climate Action for Sustainable Development English
- 17 November 2017Erklärvideo: Klimaschutz für nachhaltige EntwicklungDeutsch
- 06 November 2017Beginn der Weltklimakonferenz in Bonn: Vorgaben des Pariser Abkommens sollen entschlossen weiterentwickelt werdenDeutsch
- 06 November 2017COP23 Kicks Off with Strong Calls to Hold to Paris Agreement PathEnglish
- 31 October 2017Saubere Energie für COP 23Deutsch
- 31 October 2017How COP23 Will Run on Clean EnergyEnglish
- 20 October 2017Veranstaltungen Offizieller Klimapartner während COP23 in BonnDeutsch
- 20 October 2017COP23 "Official Climate Partner” Events in the City of BonnEnglish
- 11 September 2017UNCCD: Over 110 countries join the global campaign to save productive landEnglish
- 11 September 2017UNCCD: Über 110 Ländern schließen sich der weltweiten UNCCD-Kampagne anDeutsch
- 11 July 2017Young Cycling UN Climate Ambassadors to Stop over in Bonn on 13 JulyEnglish
- 03 July 2017UNFCCC: Medien-Akkreditierung für die UN-Klimakonferenz (COP23) in BonnDeutsch
- 03 July 2017UNFCCC: Media accreditation for COP 23 in Bonn English
- 20 June 2017UNFCCC: Let’s Celebrate the 25th Anniversary of the Climate ConventionEnglish
- 17 June 2017UNCCD: Message from the Executive Secretary, Ms. Monique Barbut on World Day to Combat Desertification 2017English
- 15 June 2017UNCCD: Land for Life Award 2017 winners announcedEnglish
- 14 June 2017UNFCCC: On the Possibility to Withdraw from the Paris Agreement - A Short OverviewEnglish
- 06 June 2017UNFCCC: California and China Sign Agreement on Climate and CleantechEnglish
- 05 June 2017UNFCCC: The Future of the Paris Climate Change Agreement in a Changing WorldEnglish
- 01 June 2017Statement attributable to the Spokesman for the Secretary-General on the US decision to withdraw from the Paris AgreementEnglish