Seen from above, we know that the surface of the planet Earth is mostly made up of water. Fresh water is the source of all life on our planet and essential for our daily activities – including human life.
Did you know
71% is Water
Water covers 71% of the Earth’s surface.
2.5% of all water is freshwater.
97.5% is saltwater.
Out of freshwater 70% is NOT accessible.
Most of the freshwater in the world is used to grow food.
At least 1.8 billion people world-wide are estimated to drink water that is faecally contaminated.
More people have cell phones than toilets.
No Drinking Water
Nearly 1 billion people have no access to clean drinking water.
More than 60 countries are expected to suffer from economic water scarcity in 2025.
Water is renewable,
source while world population is growing.
Virtual Water I
1 potato needs 25 liters
1 cup coffee 140 liters
1 apple 70 liters
1 glass milk 200 liters
Virtual Water II
1 kg grain 1500 liters
1 hamburger 2400 liters
1 beef steak 7000 liters
1 kg meat 15000 liters
- 01 June 2017UNFCCC Statement on the US Decision to Withdraw from the Paris AgreementEnglish
- 31 May 2017UNFCCC: COP23 in Bonn, Germany / UN-Klimakonferenz 2017 in Bonn (engl. Website)Deutsch
- 09 April 2017UNFCCC: Extended Deadline to 16 April! Submit your Climate Action Project to the Momentum for Change Award 2017!English
- 07 March 2017IPBES launches new video: Science and Policy for People and NatureEnglish
- 03 March 2017CMS: The 2017 World Migratory Bird Day website is now live, the registration of events is open!English
- 02 March 2017UNSSC launched its 1st explainer video that introduces 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and SDGsEnglish
- 22 February 201725 Years ASCOBANS: The Outreach and Education AwardEnglish
- 16 February 2017UN-Chef António Guterres beim G20-Außenministertreffen in Bonn, einem Zentrum der NachhaltigkeitDeutsch
- 16 February 2017UN Chief António Guterres Attends G20 Foreign Ministers Meeting in Bonn, a hub for SustainabilityEnglish
- 08 February 201725 Years ASCOBANS: Disentangling the Bycatch ProblemEnglish
- 01 February 2017Ausschreibung für „Momentum for Change Awards 2017“ läuft an: Präsentieren Sie Ihre Klimalösung!Deutsch
- 27 January 201725 Years ASCOBANS: Saving the Harbour Porpoise in the Baltic SeaEnglish
- 20 January 201725 Years ASCOBANS: The Birth of the AgreementEnglish