"No country can meet the challenge of climate change alone. Climate change carries no passport; emissions released anywhere contribute to the problem everywhere. It is a threat to lives and livelihoods everywhere. Economic stability and the security of nations are under threat. Only through the United Nations can we respond collectively to this quintessentially global issue."
(Ban Ki-moon, UN Secretary-General, 2015)
Did you know
Greenhouse gases in our atmosphere have increased to levels unprecedented in the past 800,000 years.
The global CO2 concentration increased from ~277ppm to 395ppm between 1950 and 2013,
i.e. an increase of 43%.
Increase of CO2
The largest increase of CO2 occurred between 2000-2012:
more than in any decade in human history,
going from 24.8 Gt CO2 to 35.1 Gt CO2.
Top 4 Emitters
The Top 4 emitters in 2013 were responsible for 58% of global emissions: China 28%, the United States 14%, EU28 10%, India 7%.
China’s per capita emissions have surpassed those of the EU28 and are 45% above the global average; US 16.4t/p, China 7.2t/p, EU 28 6.8 t/p, World 5.0 t/p, India 1.9 t/p.
Nearly 30% of all man-made greenhouse gas emissions come from agriculture, forestry and other land uses and are responsible for a nearly 38% increase in annual global carbon dioxide emissions between 1990 and 2009.
Restoring the soils of degraded ecosystems has the potential to store up to 3 billion tons of carbon annually. This is equivalent to storing up to 30% of annual CO2 fossil fuel emissions.
Climate change disrupts
the seasonal and geographical
patterns of migratory species.
- 06 November 2017UNFCCC: COP23 in Bonn, Germany / UN-Klimakonferenz 2017 in Bonn (engl. Website)Deutsch
- 11 July 2017Young Cycling UN Climate Ambassadors to Stop over in Bonn on 13 JulyEnglish
- 03 July 2017UNFCCC: Medien-Akkreditierung für die UN-Klimakonferenz (COP23) in BonnDeutsch
- 03 July 2017UNFCCC: Media accreditation for COP 23 in Bonn English
- 20 June 2017UNFCCC: Let’s Celebrate the 25th Anniversary of the Climate ConventionEnglish
- 17 June 2017UNCCD: Message from the Executive Secretary, Ms. Monique Barbut on World Day to Combat Desertification 2017English
- 15 June 2017UNCCD: Land for Life Award 2017 winners announcedEnglish
- 14 June 2017UNFCCC: On the Possibility to Withdraw from the Paris Agreement - A Short OverviewEnglish
- 06 June 2017UNFCCC: California and China Sign Agreement on Climate and CleantechEnglish
- 05 June 2017UNFCCC: The Future of the Paris Climate Change Agreement in a Changing WorldEnglish
- 01 June 2017Statement attributable to the Spokesman for the Secretary-General on the US decision to withdraw from the Paris AgreementEnglish
- 01 June 2017UNFCCC Statement on the US Decision to Withdraw from the Paris AgreementEnglish
- 31 May 2017UNCCD: Connecting the dots between climate and landEnglish
- 17 May 2017UNCCD: Connecting the dots between climate and landEnglish
- 12 April 2017UNFCCC: The UN Climate Change Secretariat is Seeking Partnerships for COP 23English
- 12 April 2017UNU-EHS e-Newsletter 7English
- 11 April 2017UNFCCC: COP23 Logo Launched in Fiji - Winning Design Unveiled by Incoming COP President English
- 10 April 2017UNFCCC: New Initiative Targets 2020 in Race to Tackle Dangerous Climate ChangeEnglish
- 09 April 2017UNFCCC: Extended Deadline to 16 April! Submit your Climate Action Project to the Momentum for Change Award 2017!English
- 04 April 2017UNFCCC: Showcasing Climate Action on Four Wheels Follow Young Climate Ambassadors Cycling Across EuropeEnglish