"With more than one billion international tourists now traveling the world each year, tourism has become a powerful and transformative force that is making a genuine difference in the lives of millions of people. The potential of tourism for sustainable development is considerable. As one of the world’s leading employment sectors, tourism provides important livelihood opportunities, helping to alleviate poverty and drive inclusive development. As tourism revolves around encounters between different peoples, the sector can foster multicultural understanding and raise awareness on the need to preserve cultural and natural heritage."
(Ban Ki-moon, UN Secretary-General, 2015)
Did you know
10% of global GPD
(direct, indirect and induced).
1 in 11 jobs
worldwide is tourism-related.
Tourism is the
5th largest export sector
in the world, after fuels, chemicals, food and automotive products.
Tourism generates over
US$ 1.3 trillion/year in exports.
international tourists forecast for 2030.
Developing countries control the largest proportion of global biodiversity, giving them a competitive advantage in tourism.
Tourism provides an incentive for preserving and protecting areas of
natural beauty and diversity.
- 03 March 2017CMS: The 2017 World Migratory Bird Day website is now live, the registration of events is open!
- 02 March 2017UNSSC launched its 1st explainer video that introduces 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and SDGs
- 16 February 2017UN-Chef António Guterres beim G20-Außenministertreffen in Bonn, einem Zentrum der Nachhaltigkeit
- 16 February 2017UN Chief António Guterres Attends G20 Foreign Ministers Meeting in Bonn, a hub for Sustainability
- 01 February 2017Ausschreibung für „Momentum for Change Awards 2017“ läuft an: Präsentieren Sie Ihre Klimalösung!
- 01 February 2017Applications for 2017 Momentum for Change Awards Now Open: Submit Your Climate Solution!