Intergovernmental Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services
Biodiversity from terrestrial, marine, coastal, and inland water ecosystems provides the basis for ecosystems and the services they provide that underpin human well-being. However, biodiversity and ecosystem services are declining at an unprecedented rate, and in order to address this challenge, adequate local, national and international policies need to be adopted and implemented.
IPBES serves as an interface between the scientific community and policy makers with the aim to strengthen the use of science in policy making. The Platform was established in April 2012 and is an independent intergovernmental body that is open to all member countries of the United Nations. IPBES was officially opened in the UN Campus Bonn in July 2014.
Head of Organization
Executive Secretary of the Intergovernmental Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services (IPBES)
Platz der Vereinten Nationen 1
D-53113 Bonn, Germany
Phone: +49 (0)228-815 0570
- 12 May 2017Deputy Secretary-General Amina J. Mohammed visits the United Nations in Bonn
- 07 April 2017CMS: Deadline for Submission of National Reports is 24 April
- 06 April 2017Ausstellung im Auswärtigen Amt in Berlin: "Die Vereinten Nationen in Deutschland im Zeichen der Agenda 2030"
- 28 March 2017IPBES: Agriculture Is Part of the Pollinator Solution - Intensive Farming Can Harm or Help Pollination
- 07 March 2017IPBES: "Press Release" - Climate Change and Biodiversity: Opportunities and Risks
- 07 March 2017IPBES launches new video: Science and Policy for People and Nature
- 03 March 2017CMS: The 2017 World Migratory Bird Day website is now live, the registration of events is open!
- 02 March 2017IPBES: "Press Invite" - 5th Session of the IPBES Plenary in Bonn, Tuesday 7 March
- 22 February 201725 Years ASCOBANS: The Outreach and Education Award
- 20 February 2017SDG: "Press Invite" 1-3 March Global Festival of Ideas for Sustainable Development
- 20 February 2017SDG: "Presseeinladung" 1. bis 3. März Global Festival of Ideas for Sustainable Development
- 16 February 2017UN Chief António Guterres Attends G20 Foreign Ministers Meeting in Bonn, a hub for Sustainability
- 16 February 2017UN-Chef António Guterres beim G20-Außenministertreffen in Bonn, einem Zentrum der Nachhaltigkeit
- 09 February 2017IPBES: Media Invitation & Accreditation Information to the fifth session of IPBES (IPBES-5)
- 01 February 2017Wetlands Are Critical to the Success of the SDGs
- 27 January 201725 Years ASCOBANS: Saving the Harbour Porpoise in the Baltic Sea
- 20 October 2016EINLADUNG: UN-Gespräch 2016